- 2 medium yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 4 medium garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 cup liquid smoke
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinnegar
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons hot paprika
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/2 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 (4-1/2- to 5-pound) boneless or bone-in pork shoulder (also known as pork butt, boston butt), twine or netting removed
Place the onions and garlic in an even layer in the slow cooker.
Combine the brown sugar, salt, cumin, paprika, mustard powder, and cayenne pepper.
Rub the spice mixture liberally all over the pork, try to get the spice mixture into the nooks and crannies of the meat.
Place the meat on top of the onions and garlic.
Mix the vinegar, tomato paste, and liquid smoke and pour the mixture over the pork.
Cover and cook until the pork is fork tender, about 6 to 8 hours on high or 8 to 10 hours on low.
Sort through the pork pulling out bone, gristle, and fat in O(n * log(n)) time.
Serve with BBQ sauce.